Behavioral Health Technician II
Facility: Valleywise Behavioral Health Center - Phoenix
Department: BH Unit 8 - Phoenix
Schedule: Regular FT 36 Hours Per Week
Under the direction of the Nurse Manager, this position provides age-specific care for behavioral health inpatients in collaboration with physicians, nurses, social workers and other disciplines. Under the general supervision of a Registered Nurse, performs patient related tasks to include: direct patient care, vital signs (manual), EKG, phlebotomy, Accucheck, clinical procedures, and other tasks as assigned. Serves as a preceptor for new Behavioral Health Technicians and Mental Health Workers in the Department of Psychiatry. The BHT II will also communicate patient needs and observed/reported changes in patient condition to supervising Nurse or Physician while documenting all interactions in patient’s medical record.
Education: Must meet one of the following combinations of Education and Experience:
Must meet one of the following combinations of Education and Experience:
- A high school diploma or GED and four (4) years of full-time behavioral health work experience; OR
- A Basic Behavioral Health Sciences certificate and three (3) years of full-time behavioral health work experience; OR
- Any Associates Degree and three (3) years of full-time behavioral health work experience; OR
- A Bachelor’s Degree in a field related to Behavioral Health and 18 months of full-time behavioral health work experience; OR
- Any other bachelor’s degree and two and a half (2.5) years of full-time behavioral health work experience;
- Acceptable behavioral health work experience includes providing direct services (counseling, monitoring, conducting recreational activities, transporting etc.) to individuals with a mental disorder, personality disorder or substance use problem gained in a behavioral health, medical, educational or correctional work environment. Also requires a minimum of two (2) years' experience working as a Behavioral Health Technician within Valleywise Health.
Must have CPI, EKG, Accucheck, and manual vital signs training within three months of position start date. After being hired into or internally promoted to BHT II, it is expected that you will attend phlebotomy training, and maintain competency.
- Requires BLS issued by the American Heart Association upon hire.
- Valleywise Behavioral Health Center-Mesa - Unit 2 Adolescent: Must have a valid fingerprint clearance card issued by the Arizona Department of Public Safety or submit completed application to the Arizona Department of Public Safety within seven days of transfer date.
- Fingerprint clearance cards must remain valid for the entire period of issuance and must be renewed prior to expiration.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Must demonstrate the skills and knowledge to provide behavioral health services to adults and adolescents, individuals with substance abuse, individuals who are seriously mentally ill, individuals who have co-occurring disorder(s), and/or individuals who may be victims or perpetrators of domestic violence.
- Requires basic computer word processing skills (e.g. formatting, editing, printing, composing email, etc.) to be able to successfully navigate through an electronic medical record using a computer.
- Requires the ability to read, write, and speak effectively in English.
- Pursuant to Arizona Administrative Code R9-10-306 CHAPTER 10 of the Dept. of Health Services, personnel must be at least 21 years of age, or at least 18 years of age and licensed or certified under A.R.S. Title 32, and providing services within the personnel member’s scope of practice.