Health Unit Coordinator ED Full Time Nights
Facility: Valleywise Health Medical Center
Department: ED Support - Roosevelt
Schedule: Regular FT 36 Hours Per Week
Under the direction of the Nurse Manager, the HUC's main responsibilities are to act as a liaison between the patients and staff. They must have excellent communication skills in order to serve as this vital link between the physicians, nursing staff, various departments, patients, and visitors. Unit coordinators serve as receptionists on patient floors and in the clinic setting; they must possess a pleasant and professional disposition in dealing with the public. Performs a variety of diversified secretarial duties for the unit, which includes but is not limited to; typing, filing, data input, answering phones, ordering supplies and preparing special projects for the unit. Provides support to the clinical staff by tracking consults, stat orders, supplies, patient movement throughout the system, etc. Assumes responsibility and accountability for incorporating the vision, values, mission, critical goals, and behavioral standards of the organization into their job performance.
- Requires a high school diploma or GED.
- Requires completion of an approved health unit coordinator/secretary program or one (1) year of related work experience, preferably in a healthcare setting.
- Must successfully complete Valleywise Health computer classes.
- NAHUC certification is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Must have a working knowledge of medical terminology and be proficient in the use of computer programs such as Microsoft Office.
- Must have ability to work with culturally diverse people.
- Requires excellent communication and time management skills.
- Knowledge of electronic medical record is helpful for the role.
- Requires the ability to read, write and speak effectively in English. Bilingual is preferred.