HIM Coordinator - Coding
Facility: Valleywise Health Medical Center
Department: Health Information Management - Coding
Schedule: Regular FT 40 Hours Per Week
Under the direction of the Manager of Coding, this position acts as a liaison to maintain effective communications with all departments, management and staff. This position applies an understanding of processes, workflows, policies and procedures, revenue cycle business objectives, and regulatory requirements to essential functions performed by Coding and Clinical Documentation Improvement (CDI) personnel. The HIM Coordinator of Coding is the principle liaison between HIM Coding/CDI personnel and HIM Management as it pertains to the related Epic, SMART & Midas work queues. This position is responsible for delivering information that can be used to make informed business decisions, and that the provided information is accurate, relevant and error free. This position may act as a Change Agent responsible for assisting with the planning and coordination of all departments, enterprise wide, and system quality improvement and cost saving initiatives.
- Requires an Associate's degree in Health Information Management or related field; or an equivalent combination of training and progressively responsible experience that will result in the required specialized knowledge and abilities to perform the assigned work.
- Must have a minimum of two (2) years of progressively responsible experience in Health Information Management (HIM), Clinical Documentation Improvement, Coding or Clinical Auditing/Review related to Revenue Cycle/Revenue Capture Assurance program or related healthcare field that demonstrates an understanding of the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Electronic Health Record experience is preferred.
- Must successfully complete Valleywise Health provided HIPAA, state and federal regulations as it pertains to health records required.
- Epic system training is preferred.
- Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA) or Registered Health Information Tech (RHIT) through AHIMA is preferred.
- CCS, CCS-P, CPC, CPC-H, CIC or COC are preferred.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Must have knowledge of HIM Coding and Clinic workflows and processes.
- Must show demonstrated proficiency with HIM systems and workflows as they relate to coding and CDI. Requires knowledge of DRG/APR-DRG/MS-DRG/APC systems and associated financial impact.
- Must be able to demonstrate strong knowledge of HIPAA privacy and security regulations as evidenced by appropriate handling of protected health information (PHI), promoting confidentiality and using discretion when handling patient information and/or sensitive material concerning the organization.
- Must be able to follow all Federal and State regulations, as well as all Valleywise Health policies, procedures and Corporate Compliance Plan.
- Requires the ability to work well independently in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent research skills are required.
- Must be able to maintain the highest level of confidentiality.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office software (i.e., Word, Excel and Outlook).
- Must have the ability to categorize data both in an electronic and hard copy format.
- Must possess good interpersonal communication and strong customer service skills both verbally and in writing, including knowledge of basic grammar, spelling and punctuation.
- Must be able to work with others to fully understand the scope of coding and CDI capabilities within the EHR. Requires the ability to work independently or as part of a team.
- Requires excellent organizational and team building skills.
- Strong attention to detail required.
- Must be able to influence and adjust positively to change and follow through on all assignments.
- Must be self-motivated and able to plan work activities and set effective priorities that are aligned with departmental and Valleywise Health operational and fiscal goals.
- Requires the ability to read, write and communicate effectively in English.
Salary Range: $17.76 - $26.64