Facility: Valleywise Health Medical Center
Department: Language Services
Schedule: Regular FT 40 Hours Per Week
Under the supervision of the Manager of Language & International Programs and Supervisor Language Services, this position provides accurate face to face, telephonic and video interpretations from English into Spanish and vice versa of medical and non-medical information in direct services to physicians and/or other health care providers and staff who serve patients, their families or other community members who cannot speak or understand English, when specifically required by the provider. Translates (written) physicians advice and diagnoses, written patient information, pharmacological instructions, Valleywise Health informational brochures, etc.; with awareness of cultural sensitivity to the community we serve. Proofreads, edits, and revises translated materials.
- Requires a high school diploma or GED. A Bachelor's degree in Spanish, Language or Bilingual Education, a Translation Studies Certificate, or American Translators Association certification or National Healthcare Interpreter certification is preferred.
- Must be a graduate of a Spanish Bilingual Assistant course or other accredited language interpretation certification program and have at least one (1) year of healthcare interpretation/translation experience that demonstrates an understanding of the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Must successfully complete a Bilingual Assistant course.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Requires the ability to read, write and speak effectively in English.
- Must be bilingual in English and Spanish.
- Requires the ability to translate (convert written materials from one language into another, edit and proofread text to accurately reflect language) and interpret in a medical setting displaying high standards of ethical conduct.
- Must have acute knowledge and understanding of cultural diversity and language of targeted populations.
- Current knowledge of medical terminology in English and Spanish, interpretation techniques, interviewing and communication skills.
- Requires precision and up-to-date healthcare knowledge of complex medical terminology and concepts.
- Requires excellent interpersonal, communication, customer service and cultural competence skills.
- Must have and maintain a high level of skill, proficiency and professionalism when interpreting.
- Due to the sensitive nature of much of the information processed by this position, a high degree of integrity and confidentiality must be maintained at all times.