Behavioral Health Technician III
Facility: Valleywise Behavioral Health Center - Phoenix
Department: BH Unit 9 - Phoenix
Schedule: Regular FT 36 Hours Per Week
Under the direction of the Nurse Manager, this position provides age-specific care for behavioral health inpatients in collaboration with physicians, nurses, social workers and other disciplines. Under the general supervision of a Registered Nurse, performs patient related tasks to include: direct patient care, vital signs (manual), EKG, phlebotomy, Accucheck, clinical procedures and other tasks as assigned. Serves as a preceptor for new Behavioral Health Technicians and Mental Health Workers in the Department of Psychiatry, which includes providing ongoing clinical supervision. The BHT III will also communicate patient needs and observed/reported changes in patient condition to supervising Nurse or Physician while documenting all interactions in patient's medical record. Responsible for providing training and mentoring to other Behavioral Health Technicians functioning as a resource for department staff and handling complex issues.
- Requires an advanced Behavioral Health Sciences certificate; OR
- Requires an Associate's degree in a Behavioral Health or related field; OR
- A bachelor's degree or higher in a Behavioral Health or related field.
- Requires a minimum of 15 months experience working as a Behavioral Health Technician II within Valleywise Health that demonstrates an understanding of the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Must have and maintain current CPI, EKG, Accucheck, phlebotomy, and manual vital signs training.
- Must pass and maintain clinical competency in the EHR.
- Requires BLS issued by the American Heart Association (AHA).
- Valleywise Behavioral Health Center Mesa - Unit 2 Adolescent: Must have a valid fingerprint clearance card issued by the Arizona Department of Public Safety or submit completed application to the Arizona Department of Public Safety within seven days of transfer date. Fingerprint clearance cards must remain valid for the entire period of issuance and must be renewed prior to expiration.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Must demonstrate the skills and knowledge to provide behavioral health services to adults and adolescents, individuals with substance abuse, individuals who are seriously mentally ill, individuals who have co-occurring disorder, and/or individuals who may be victims or perpetrators of domestic violence.
- Must be proficient in the use of AIDET. Pass and maintain clinical computer competency in EHR after training.
- Must have knowledge of the unique patient population that we serve, barriers to access to healthcare and the stigma that accompanies a person who has been diagnosed with a mental illness or serious mental illness.
- Requires an understanding of, and demonstrates proficiency in effective and therapeutic ways to interact with patients and their family members.
- Requires knowledge of departmental and organizational quality initiatives that will help the organization achieves top performance and efforts to meet those initiatives.
- Demonstrate excellent organizational citizenship behaviors in a manner that improves the overall effectiveness of personal performance, teamwork in small groups and multi-level groups.
- Must demonstrate excellent communication skills.
- Must be organized and quick to respond in a crisis.
- Requires the ability to serve as a change agent with an open mindset, innovative ideas and action oriented behaviors.
- Must have ability to interact in an empathetic, healthy, collaborative manner with patients and other members of the treatment team to help meet the business needs of the organization.
- Requires ability to contribute to a positive work environment and serve as a role-model by aligning actions with shared values.
- Must be in good standing with no written disciplinary action for at least 18 consecutive months.
- Requires basic computer word processing skills (e.g. formatting, editing, printing, composing email, internet searches, etc.) to be able to successfully navigate through an electronic medical record using a computer.
- Requires the ability to read, write and speak effectively in English.
- Pursuant to Arizona Administrative Code R9-10-306 CHAPTER 10 of the Dept. of Health Services, personnel must be at least 21 years of age, or at least 18 years of age and licensed or certified under A.R.S. Title 32, and providing services within the personnel member’s scope of practice.