Coder III - Hospital Inpatient Coding! - Remote
Facility: Maryvale Campus
Department: Health Information Management
Schedule: Regular FT 40 Hours Per Week
Under the direction of the Coding Supervisor, the Coder III assigns diagnostic and procedure codes to patient medical records. Must have extensive acute inpatient coding experience and/or outpatient coding experience, in multiple areas of specialty. Maintains coding productivity and quality benchmarks as prescribed by the Coding Policy and Procedure, as established for Valleywise Health.
- Requires an Associate's degree in Health Information Technology or related field; or an equivalent combination of training and progressively responsible experience that results in the required specialized knowledge and ability to perform the assigned work in lieu of degree. A Bachelor's degree is preferred.
- Requires three (3) years of acute care/or outpatient coding experience that demonstrates an understanding of the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Requires the ability to pass a coding exam prior to hire.
- Must have certification as either RHIA, RHIT, CCS, CIC or CPC.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Must possess knowledge of ICD-10-CM, ICD-10-PCS; Severity of Illness and Risk of Mortality codes, MCC and CC; and to Query the Physicians, as appropriate.
- Must have knowledge of and be able to code all types of patient medical records including: Inpatient, Behavioral Health, Edits and Errors.
- Must be able to achieve and maintain appropriate coding quality and productivity established in the Coding Department Policy and Procedure.
- Must have a strong understanding of computer applications and of automated encoder system.
- Must have knowledge of anatomy and physiology, medical terminology, surgical terminology, pharmacological terminology, patient care documentation terminology.
- Must have the analytical ability necessary to interpret data contained in records and to assign appropriate codes.
- Must be able to communicate effectively and have excellent customer service skills.
- Requires the ability to work well independently and demonstrate independent decision-making abilities.
- Requires the ability to read, write and speak effectively in English.