Coder IV - Remote from Home
Facility: Valleywise Health Medical Center
Department: Health Information Management - Coding
Schedule: Regular FT 40 Hours Per Week
Under the direction of the Coding Supervisor, this position will be able to code all types of cases, for example: Inpatient, Burn, Behavioral Health, Observation, ED, Trauma, Surgical and Infusion and Injections, using, ICD-10-CM, PCS, CPT and HCPCS guidelines. This position will also be proficient or gain proficiency in using the SMART and 3M Reporting tools, as well as Coordinate the review of the STATE report. Assists with the coordination of the coding meetings with the Clinical Documentation Improvement (CDI) team and monitor and assign the ongoing review of identified patient records for coding review. Assists with the daily operation of the HIM Coding area; and ensures that all codes assigned are compliant with the current coding guidelines, federal, and state regulations, and facility requirements. This position will assist with training and mentoring of new coding staff, review and audit all types of coding, as well as testing and the implementation of new software.
Education or equivalency:
- Requires an associate degree in Health Information Technology or related field, or an equivalent combination of training and progressively responsible experience that results in the required specialized knowledge and ability to perform the assigned work in lieu of degree.
- A Bachelor’s degree is preferred.
- Requires five (5) years of progressively responsible acute care inpatient and/or outpatient hospital coding experience that demonstrates a strong understanding of the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Requires the ability to pass a coding exam prior to hire.
- Must have certification as either RHIA, RHIT, CCS or CPC, dual credentials preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Must have knowledge of and be able to code all types of patient medical records that may include: Inpatient, Burn, Behavioral Health, Outpatient, Emergency Medicine, Trauma, Observation, Same Day Surgery, Surgery and Infusions and Injections.
- Position must possess a clear understanding of APC, APR DRG, MS DRG’s, MCC and CC information and be able to create and analyze coding reports.
- Must have a thorough knowledge of medical terminology, anatomy, and physiology and disease process.
- Must have ability to read and interpret a wide number of entries to accurately identify diagnosis and procedures.
- Must have a high level of understanding of computer applications and of automated encoder system.
- Must have knowledge of anatomy and physiology, medical terminology, surgical terminology, pharmacological terminology, patient care documentation, ICD-10CM & PCS, HCPCS and CPT codes.
- Must have the analytical ability necessary to interpret data contained in records and to assign appropriate codes.
- Must be able to communicate effectively and have excellent customer service skills.
- Requires the ability to read, write and speak effectively in English.
Salary Range: (27A) $23.79 - $35.69