Cultural Health Navigator Bilingual in Dari and Pashto
Facility: Valleywise Comprehensive Health Center - Phoenix
Department: Refugee Admin Support
Schedule: Grant FT 40 Hours Per Week
Under the supervision of Clinic Manager, the Cultural Health Navigator (CHN) provides accurate culturally grounded and linguistically appropriate care and quality health services to the refugee and immigrant community in order to reduce health disparities and cultural barriers to care. The CHN promotes community referrals of refugees and immigrant populations to various Valleywise Health specialties. This position identifies existing health and public health local refugee-focused resources available to the target refugee and immigrant populations within Maricopa County. This position provides necessary support to assure equal access to care for the refugee target patient population. The CHN participates and assists in the delivery of culturally sensitive trainings, presentation, and research activities to empower patients to make informed decisions about their health. This position works closely with case managers of various refugee resettlement agencies and provides activities that are relevant to coordination of care such as: assisting with navigation of U.S. and Arizona healthcare delivery systems with appointment scheduling, specialist referrals, medication education, home visits, health insurance renewal, and transportation. Must have and maintain a high level of skill, proficiency and professionalism when interpreting due to the sensitive nature of much of the information processed by this position. A high degree of integrity and confidentiality must be maintained at all times.
- Requires a high school diploma or GED. Prefer a Bachelor's degree in Human Services, Education, Public Health or related field.
- Must have a minimum of one (1) year of healthcare interpretation experience as well as being able to successfully pass a language proficiency test.
- Prefer successful completion of an Interpreter Skills, Community Interpreter or similar class.
- Must be well versed in knowledge of Ethnic Community Based Organizations (ECBOs), Maricopa County and Navigation of HealthCare System, Community Customer Service, and Cultural Competence.
- Requires possession of and the ability to retain a current, valid Arizona's issued driver's license in good standing and must carry the Arizona legally required minimum insurance coverage on a personal vehicle at all times.
- Must have a valid fingerprint clearance card issued by the Arizona Department of Public Safety OR submit a completed Affidavit at time of hire. Must complete fingerprint clearance card application within seven (7) days of hire date. Must present actual card within 90 days of applying for fingerprint clearance card.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Requires excellent interpersonal, communication, and customer service skills.
- Requires the ability to read, write, and speak effectively in English and languages of the identified refugee/immigrant population.
- Must be bilingual in languages of populations hired to serve.
- Must have acute knowledge and understanding of cultural diversity and language of targeted populations.
- Current knowledge of medical terminology in English and languages of identified refugee/immigrant population, interpretation techniques, interviewing and communication skills.
Salary Range: (22A) $18.64 - $27.96