Director Disaster Mgmt & Employee Health
Facility: Valleywise Health Medical Center
Department: Nursing Administration
Schedule: Regular FT 40 Hours Per Week
Under the direction of the Chief Nursing Officer, this position oversees all aspects of the Environmental Health and Safety, Emergency Management and Employee Health Programs for Valleywise Health. Develops, implements and directs the system-wide environmental health and safety program including: OSHA Voluntary Protection Program (VPP), Emergency Preparedness, and DNV continued compliance. This position oversees the Environment of Care safety management plan which includes: safety, facility, hazardous materials, life safety, medical equipment, utilities, emergency management, and security. Oversees organizational compliance with federal and state environment; health and safety regulations; DNV; Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA); Environmental Protection Agency (EPA); regulations; and the National Fire Protection Agency (NFPA) Life Safety codes. This position evaluates the work of management and professional personnel and engages in safety related projects, teams, task forces, and committees. This position has the authority to intervene in system-wide activities whenever environmental conditions exist that pose an immediate or potential risk to life, health, or damage to equipment or buildings and to take corrective action as necessary.
- Requires a bachelor’s degree in Business Administration or related field; or an equivalent combination of training and progressively responsible experience that will result in the required specialized knowledge and abilities to perform the assigned work.
- A Master’s degree is preferred.
- Must have minimum of seven (7) years of progressively responsible hospital operations or hospital safety experience that demonstrates a high level of understanding of the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Experience must include demonstrated leadership ability or related management position in a healthcare setting.
- Preferred experience with the OSHA VPP program as it relates to a healthcare setting.
- Completion of the following training programs is preferred and will be required within one (1) year of hire into position:
- Homeland Security Exercise & Evaluation Program
- Hospital Incident Command System
- National Incident Management System
- Continuity of Operations Planning
- Hospital Emergency Response Training
- Train the Trainer for Hospital Emergency Response Training
- Certification through the International Board for Certification of Safety Managers as a Certified Healthcare Safety Professional (CHSP) and Certified Hazard Control Manager (CHCM) is required within two (2) years of hire into position.
- Requires certification of either Associate Emergency Manager (AEM) or Certified Emergency Manager (CEM) within three (3) years of hire into position.
- Prefer certification as a Certified Environmental and Safety Compliance Officer (CESCO) or Certified Environmental Safety and Health Trainer (CET).
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Must demonstrate experience in designing, implementing, and managing a safety program that addresses the environmental safety needs unique to a multifaceted healthcare organization.
- Must have knowledge of OSHA, NFPA regulations and demonstrated knowledge of environmental safety training as well as local, state, and federal safety regulations.
- Must have demonstrated background and experience in hospital environmental safety programs.
- Must be a successful leader of people, have strong leadership skills and the ability to motivate a team.
- Must be able to decide how to allocate people, time and other resources to create, execute, and accomplish an operating or project plan on time and within budget.
- Must have solid analytical and problem-solving skills along with the ability to utilize the appropriate management techniques to plan, organize, control and coordinate activities.
- Must be able to manage priorities in a dynamic environment and adapt to change quickly and positively.
- Must demonstrate ability to be self-directed, as well as demonstrate excellent organizational, analytical and interpersonal skills.
- Must be able to work as a team member with peers, other managers, staff and senior leadership.
- Must possess good customer service and communications skills, the ability to work with professionals and maintain confidentiality standards.
- Requires the ability to simultaneously address multiple projects, demands and issues, and the ability to solve problems and make correct decisions in a busy operating environment and occasional crisis situations.
- Requires the ability to read, write and speak effectively in English.