Echocardiogram Technician II
Facility: Valleywise Health Medical Center
Department: RAD Ultrasound - Roosevelt
Schedule: Regular - Full Time 36 Hours Per Week
Under the general direction of an appropriate physician or supervisor, this position performs diagnostic procedures on adults and/or pediatric patients. Responsible for working collaboratively with other members to assure the safe and accurate delivery of patient care, requiring independent judgment, ingenuity, and initiative. Assumes responsibility for tasks and procedures as assigned. The staff member must be able to demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients. Provides specialized technical skills, critical thinking, problem solving and medical knowledge including anatomy, physiology, and pathophysiology. Correlates related patient data, apply physics principles in order to obtain optimal images for rendering a diagnosis.
- Requires an Associate's degree in Radiography and/or completed certificate program Ultrasound.
- Must have a minimum of two (2) years broad based experience in echocardiography that demonstrates the required knowledge, skills, and abilities, including stress echocardiography and transesophageal echocardiograms.
- Must be registered by the American Registry of Diagnostic Medical Sonographers (ARDMS) or equivalent (RDMS, RVT, or RDCS).
- Requires BLS. A BLS card obtained through an approved American Heart Association (AHA) training center is preferred and will be required within three (3) months.
- Must demonstrate competent performance in adult echocardiograms and pediatric echocardiograms. Staff shall show evidence of maintaining current knowledge by participation in CME courses which are relevant to echocardiography testing.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Must have good oral and written communication skills.
- Must be able to work well with all departments and personnel related to echocardiography testing activities including additional technical and nursing staff, secretarial support, medical staff and vendors.
- Must be able to utilize inductive thinking for performance of many of the tests, along with the ability to evaluate patients well in a subjective manner.
- Must be able to work independently and be motivated to accomplish tasks that require self-direction.
- Must be able to communicate effectively with physicians as well as nurses and other support staff in order to schedule tests effectively and report results accurately.
- Must be a responsible individual so that day to day activities will be accomplished in an effective and efficient manner.
- Requires knowledge of the importance of infection control and prevention of cross contamination and various methods of decontamination of equipment used.