Healthcare Insurance Navigator
Facility: Valleywise Community Health Center - Mesa
Department: Ambulatory Financial Counseling
Schedule: Regular FT 40 Hours Per Week
Under the direction of the Manager Ambulatory Financial Counseling, this position will have patients referred to them to assist them with applying for healthcare coverage. Health care insurance navigators assist individuals and families, as well as small businesses, that seek insurance through the health insurance marketplace or exchanges. These exchanges have been implemented in states throughout the country because of federal law to require health insurance coverage for Americans not otherwise covered by private health insurance plans. The navigator’s role is to educate consumers about their insurance options in the marketplace and help them to compare and determine what choices may be best for each individual or group, assist with the enrollment process in a qualified health plan, and direct consumers to resources necessary to address any problems related to the insurance plans.
- Education or equivalency:
- Requires a High school diploma or GED certificate.
- Requires one to two (1-2) years general clerical, customer service, or medical experience preferably in a healthcare environment involving data reconciliation.
- Specialized training:
- Certified Health Navigator, participants must complete the PCTI/USC Health Navigation Certification training and must demonstrate successful completion of core competencies by successfully engaging in Health Navigation with consumers within 15-days of hire
- Must have a valid fingerprint clearance card issued by the Arizona Department of Public Safety OR submit a completed Affidavit at time of hire. Must complete fingerprint clearance card application within seven (7) days of hire date. Must present actual card within 90 days of applying for fingerprint clearance card.
- Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Must have the ability to travel to clinics throughout the system based on patient/consumer needs.
- Requires excellent data entry skills including, 10-key by touch, and the ability to type 30 words per minute accurately.
- Basic Math Skills required.
- Must be able to demonstrate obtaining and validating demographic information to accurately and timely complete the consumer’s applications.
- Must possess good interpersonal and communication skills both verbally and in writing including knowledge of basic grammar, spelling & punctuation.
- Requires the ability to read, write and speak effectively in English.
- Critical thinking skills are strongly preferred.
- Must be able to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Should be familiar with the Affordable Care Act, which can be accessed through the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Web site (https://www.hhs.gov).
- Familiarity with insurance terms and options.
- Understanding of the different needs of consumers from diverse socioeconomic and cultural backgrounds, or for whom English may be a second language
- Familiar with different resources offered by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, which detail their obligations, duties, and their tasks are to be performed.
- Bilingual preferred.