HIM Coding Educator - Outpatient Coding
Facility: Valleywise Health Medical Center
Department: Health Information Management
Schedule: Regular FT 40 Hours Per Week
Under the direction of the Health Information Management (HIM) Supervisor of Coding Education, this position is responsible for providing training, education, and mentoring to the outpatient coding team and outpatient CDI team for coding education. The educator will need to be able to provide this training either in person and/or virtually. Work with business owners in defining, planning, implementing and evaluating the training required to ensure a smooth change management for coding operations, revenue cycle and affected areas. Responsible for evaluating and delivering a comprehensive range of training and education programs as it relates to the end-users needs. Provides onsite and/or virtual support of trainees, and acts as a knowledge resource for all staff. Collects and coordinates the collection of data by performing coding quality chart reviews, ensuring the reviews meet government, regulatory, and coding guidelines/standards. Responsible for delivering the results of these chart reviews with reports that can be used to make informed business decisions, that are accurate, relevant and error free.
- Requires an associate degree in Health Information Management or related field; or an equivalent combination of training and progressively responsible experience that will result in the required specialized knowledge and abilities to perform the assigned work.
- A bachelor’s degree in Health Information Management or related field is preferred.
- ‹‹‹‹Must have a minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible healthcare acute care coding, that involves outpatient facility coding experience that demonstrates a strong understanding of the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Must have: Level 1 Trauma coding experience, coding experience in a teaching hospital, and Electronic Health Record experience.
- Prefer Burn coding experience and/or experience providing classroom, on- site and/or virtual training.
- ICD-10, ICD-10 PCS, CPT Coding and auditing experience required.
- Prefer formal training in 3M products/ Epic/Auditing/CDI/Revenue Cycle.
- Requires certification as a CCS, CCS-P, CPC, CPC-H, CPC-P, CIC, or COC.
- Preferred dual certification as a Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA) or Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT).
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Requires extensive knowledge and experience in outpatient facility coding and auditing, which is the subject area they are evaluating, reporting and providing training for.
- Must demonstrate knowledge of HIPAA privacy and security regulations as evidenced by appropriate handling of Protected Health Information (PHI), promoting confidentiality and using discretion when handling patient and various hospital departments’ information.
- Must be able to follow all Federal and State regulations, as well as all Valleywise Health policies and procedures.
- Requires a basic understanding of all functions performed by the Coding and Revenue Cycle Teams.
- Requires strong computer skills in all areas of healthcare applications, technology, education and automated systems as well as Microsoft Products, Epic, PwC SMART and 3M software. This includes the ability to adapt to multiple client systems simultaneously.
- Requires a basic understanding of the standard tools, workflow processes, and/or procedures and concepts used in implementing, designing, and delivering training programs and materials.
- Prefer an understanding of healthcare business and software and a strong ability to translate administrative and operating requirements into clear, specific, and actionable curriculum and then implement and teach those curriculums.
- Must demonstrate effective listening, facilitation and presentation skills.
- Must possess excellent interpersonal and communication skills both verbally and in writing including knowledge of basic grammar, spelling & punctuation.
- Must be flexible, detail-oriented, highly collaborative and the ability to be a positive influence on others. The ability to work in a team environment, as well as, independently while having the willingness to take ownership of responsibilities, is quality conscious and be able to manage time effectively and ability to adapt to change.
- Must be able to continuously listen, react and suggest ways to complement or assist the work of others.
- Requires the ability to read, write and speak effectively in English.