HIM Release of Information Specialist
Facility: Valleywise Health Medical Center
Department: Health Information Management
Schedule: Regular - Full Time 40 Hours Per Week
Under the direction of the Health Information Management (HIM) Release of Information (ROI) Supervisor, this position processes internal and external requests for release of Protected Health Information (PHI) in accordance with HIPAA and other Federal and State regulations; also, responsible for delivering accurate, relevant and error free information that can be used to make informed business decisions. This position is essential to the process improvement cycle, identifying areas of opportunity and assisting with the planning, implementation and coordination of quality improvement projects and cost saving initiatives. Demonstrates knowledge of HIPAA privacy and security regulations as evidenced by appropriately handling Protected Health Information (PHI), promoting confidentiality and using discretion when handling patient information.
- Requires a high school diploma or equivalent. Working towards or completion of an Associate's degree program is preferred.
- Must have minimum of two (2) years of Health Information Management related experience and able to demonstrate an understanding of the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Must successfully complete Valleywise Health provided training related to HIPAA, state and federal regulations as it pertains to health records.
- Epic system training is preferred.
- Prefer certification as a Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) or Certified in Healthcare Privacy and Security (CHPS) through AHIMA or Certified Release of Information Specialist (CRIS) through AHIOS.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Requires the ability to work well independently in a fast-paced environment.
- Must demonstrate ability to learn within a short period.
- Must demonstrate proficiency in HIM database systems, Electronic Health Record (EHR) and Electronic Document Management (EDM) systems.
- Must be able to maintain the highest level of confidentiality.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office software (i.e., Word, Excel and Outlook).
- Must be able to categorize data both in an electronic and hard copy format.
- Must possess good interpersonal communication and strong customer service skills both verbally and in writing, including knowledge of basic grammar, spelling and punctuation.
- Requires the ability to work independently or as part of a team.
- Requires excellent organizational and team building skills.
- Must be quality conscious and customer oriented.
- Strong attention to detail is required.
- Must be able to influence and adjust positively to change and follow through on all assignments.
- Must be self-motivated and able to plan work activities and set effective priorities that are aligned with departmental and Valleywise Health operational and fiscal goals.
- Requires knowledge in the use of a computer, fax machine, copier and scanner.
- Requires the ability to read, write and communicate effectively in English.
Pay: $13.24 to $21.19/hour
$13.24 - $21.19
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 27809