Language & Cultural Educator
Facility: Valleywise Health Medical Center
Department: Language Services
Schedule: Regular FT 40 Hours Per Week
Under the direction of the Manager Language & International Programs, the Language and Cultural Educator provides presents, develops and conducts the Spanish Bilingual Assistant (SBA) program for Valleywise Health staff and external students. Develops, coordinates and presents On-going education to current healthcare interpreters. Develops, presents and conducts Conversational Spanish Classes for Valleywise Health and DMG employees. The Language and Cultural Educator provides accurate face to face, telephonic and video interpretations from English into Spanish and vice versa for medical and non-medical information in direct services to physicians and/or other health care providers and staff. This position serves as a Language Educator Liaison between Valleywise Health and other educational institutions.
- Requires a high school diploma or GED, and must be a graduate of a Bilingual Assistant course or other accredited language interpretation certification program.
- A Bachelor's degree in Spanish, Language or Bilingual Education is preferred.
- Must have a minimum of three (3) years of healthcare interpretation experience that demonstrates an understanding of the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Must have certificate of completion of a Bilingual Assistant course.
- Prefer certification through an accredited language interpretation certification program (e.g. Certification Commission of Healthcare Interpreters or National Board of Certification for Medical Interpreters).
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Requires the ability to instruct, lecture and conduct written and oral tests for the Spanish Bilingual Assistant class, conversational Spanish classes.
- Must be bilingual in English and Spanish as spoken in the Southwestern US.
- Must have acute knowledge and understanding of cultural diversity and language of targeted populations.
- Requires knowledge of medical terminology in English and Spanish, interpretation techniques, interviewing and communication skills.
- Must be well versed in customer service and cultural competence.
- Requires excellent interpersonal communication and customer service skills.
- Must have excellent presentation skills and ability to favorably represent Valleywise.
- Requires an understanding of linguistics and different cultures, and an understanding of Interpretation protocol and code of ethics.
- Must have good computer skills with experience in Microsoft Office, Excel and Powerpoint.
- Must have and maintain a high level of skill, proficiency and professionalism when interpreting.
- Due to the sensitive nature of much of the information processed by this position, a high degree of integrity and confidentiality must be maintained at all times.
- Requires the ability to read, write and speak effectively in English.
Salary Range: $21.58 - $32.37