Patient Access Specialist
Facility: Tempe Diablo Technology Park
Department: Patient Assistance Center
Schedule: Regular FT 40 Hours Per Week
Under the direction of the Patient Access Manager, this position is responsible for performing comprehensive scheduling, pre-registration functions, provide excellent customer service, answer patient questions, and route calls to designated staff as appropriate, to maintain an efficient operational workflow for all patients seeking services throughout Valleywise Health.
- Requires a high school diploma or GED. Prefer an Associate's degree in Business Administration, Finance or a related field.
- Must have a minimum of one to two (1-2) years of general clerical, customer service or medical experience, preferably in a healthcare environment.
- Prefer prior experience in a call center or experience with high volume patient contact through the use of phones.
- Prior healthcare registration and or scheduling experience a plus.
- Epic certification and HFMA certification preferred.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Requires the ability to read, write and speak effectively in English. Bilingual preferred.
- Must have working knowledge of Excel and Word.
- Requires basic data entry, 10-key, and keyboarding skills.
- Ability to type a minimum of 30 words per minute is desired.
- Must have the ability to handle multiple complex projects.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, time management skills, mentoring and leadership skills are required.
- Must have the ability to demonstrate competency in all aspects of billing/collecting rules and regulations for all payers in order to direct, plan, schedule and organize work.
- Must be able to communicate and relate with patients and all hospital staff.
- Requires the ability to work independently on established policies and procedures within the department.
- Must have knowledge of Arizona Medicaid programs Medicare, AHCCCS, and other government programs.
- Knowledge of the federal and state Fair Debt Collection Regulations.
- Knowledge of the Collections department, including commercial, managed care, work comp and self-pay guidelines.
- Requires organizational, general math, and training skills.
- Requires good patient service skills, interpersonal ability and demonstrated leadership skills to regularly interact with staff and leadership.