Sr Customer Service Representative
Facility: Tempe Diablo Technology Park
Department: Patient Financial Services
Schedule: Regular FT 40 Hours Per Week
Under the general direction of the Manager Cash Applications & Customer Service and the Supervisor Cash Posting, the Sr Customer Service Representative handles patient/guarantor questions/inquiries, in an accurate and timely manner. Questions/inquiries include patient calls or walk-in visitors, and correspondence regarding the hospital or outpatient bills for services given at one of the Valleywise Health facilities/departments. Responses to inquiries includes helping the patient understand their bill, assisting with financial assistance applications, receiving and processing patient payments and setting up payment plans when necessary.
- Requires a high school diploma or GED. Prefer an Associate's or Bachelor's degree.
- Must have at least two (2) years or progressively responsible hospital billing/collection/customer service or hospital registration experience that demonstrates an understanding of the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Certified Revenue Cycle Technician through the Healthcare Financial Management Association (HFMA) is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Proficient in all areas and work flows related to Registration, Financial Counseling, and Business Office including Billing, Collection and Payment Posting.
- Must be able to communicate clearly, both orally and in writing, with patients/guarantors, outsource agencies, insurance plans, payers, attorneys, and/or various departments within the Health System.
- Must demonstrate the knowledge needed to provide correct answers to patient questions in relations to Medicare, AHCCCS, Commercial, Managed Care, Work Comp and self-pay bills.
- Should be able to resolve billing complaints and handle the action needed to correct/adjust the patient accounts as needed.
- Must understand the Valleywise Health financial assistance discount policy (aka Sliding Fee Program) and apply discounts appropriately as needed.
- Must have working knowledge of fair debt practices and guidelines as it relates to healthcare providers.
- Must be proficient in basic computer skills, Outlook, Word, Excel, automated eligibility systems, and manage working in multiple software applications as well as insurance payer websites.
- Requires the ability to read, write and speak effectively in English.