Supervisor Language Services
Facility: Valleywise Health Medical Center
Department: Service Excellence
Schedule: Regular FT 40 Hours Per Week
Under the supervision of the Manager of Language & International Programs, this position plans, organizes, guides and supervises the day-to-day and long term activities of the Interpreters, Translators and Community Health Navigators according to Valleywise Health standards. Conducts medical Interpretations and Translations and supervises the Spanish Bilingual Assistant Program. Must have and maintain a high level of skill, proficiency, and professionalism in supervising interpreters, translators and cultural health navigators. Due to the sensitive nature of much of the information processed by this position, a high degree of integrity and confidentiality must be maintained at all times.
- Requires a high school diploma or GED. Prefer a Bachelor's degree or an equivalent combination of training and progressively responsible experience that will result in the required specialized knowledge and abilities to perform the assigned work.
- Must have minimum of three (3) years of medical interpreting and translation experience that demonstrates an understanding of the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Prefer prior direct or indirect supervisory experience.
- Must be certified as a Spanish Bilingual Assistant.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Requires the ability to translate and interpret in a medical setting displaying high standards of ethical conduct.
- Requires the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees. Must be approachable, people oriented, and a good listener.
- Read, write and speak effectively in English. Must be bilingual in English and Spanish as spoken in the Southwestern US.
- Must have acute knowledge and understanding of cultural diversity and language of targeted populations.
- Knowledge of medical terminology in English and Spanish, interpretation techniques, interviewing and communication skills.
- Well versed in customer service, cultural competence.
- Ability to organize and plan work adhering to priorities and deadlines, ability to delegate multiple work projects, strong attention to detail, excellent communication, judgment, negotiation, and conflict resolution skills, ability to adjust to rapidly changing circumstances and priorities, ability to react calmly and effectively in emergency situations, excellent presentation skills and ability to favorably represent the company.
- Good computer skills with experience in Microsoft office.
- Must be a change agent able to develop, implement and maintain policies and processes.
- Requires the ability to be a creative, independent thinker.
- Must possess solid analytical and problem-solving skills.