Surgical Tech II
Facility: Valleywise Comprehensive Health Center - Peoria
Department: Operating Room - Peoria
Schedule: Regular FT 40 Hours Per Week
Under minimal direction of the Nurse Manager, this position plans for and scrubs diverse surgical operations; anticipates needs of surgeons; assembles specialized OR equipment i.e. surgical drills; maintains an aseptic environment; and provides for patient safety. Cares for the instruments/equipment used. Operates simple and complex surgical equipment. Monitors sterilizers and sterilization processes. Participates as a team member during surgical operations and in accomplishing all the support work of the department.
- Requires a high school diploma or GED
- Must have graduated from a vocational program for Surgical Technicians or Technologist. Three (3) years of on the job training experience may be accepted in lieu of completion of a vocational program.
- Requires a minimum of one (1) year of progressively responsible Surgical Tech in a multi-specialty complex cases experience that demonstrates an understanding of the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Prefer three to five (3-5) years' experience with diverse surgical specialties.
- Certification as a Certified Surgical Technologist (CST) or Tech in Surgery-Certified (TS-C) is required and must be maintained.
- Must have Basic Cardiac Life Support certification.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Requires the ability to read, write and speak effectively in English.
- Requires specialized knowledge and skills of OR practices.
- Utilizes effective communication and interpersonal skills to enhance and encourage collaborative staff and community relationships.
- Must be able to lead and mentor other staff.
- Must be able to respond quickly and must be familiar with operating procedures in order to have instruments ready for surgeons.